Friday, July 20, 2007

Indulgence Unfulfilled




Yeah...doesn't that look appetizing.

Well, I thought it would be earlier in the day. I finished all my promotional stuff at work and then went to pick up a few groceries and made my way home. Tried calling the beau a couple of times but no answer, so I figure he's asleep or something. I get home and he's just about to get in the shower (mind you in his current pre-operation condition, so this is quite the task for him) and looks like hell.

He showers and appears to be a new person, exhausted but looking tons better. He then asks me to grab him a pack of cigs and something to eat. I'm not real hungry and so I let him suggest the place and at first he wants Subway. I'm not a big fan of Subway, I never seem to get a sub there that I can enjoy on a tastebud level. Quizno's is more my taste. So he then suggests Burger King.

Mind you for the past 3 weeks or more I've been eating relatively clean. The only fast food I've really had in this time has been two basic hard tacos from Taco Bell and two grilled snack wraps from McDonalds. I think to myself...

I've been awfully good these past few weeks, I deserve a bit of a treat.

So I grab his cigs and then head to the Burger King down the road.

I park and go in so that I can stare at the menu and make a decision for myself because I know it'll be hard.

So, I'm staring at the menu (and feeling guilty at the same time) and only seeing big red X's for myself all over the place.

I order Russ' food and then I go with my old standby. A whopper Jr. w/ cheese no onion. I'd always been partial to the King's burgers over other places, the rest I can do without.

Bring it home, and long story short. The food made me nauseous and the soda gave me a headache.

I now know exactly how my roommate Jen (who eats very clean and healthy all the time) feels after eating from fastfood. I used to wonder why she always ended up feeling icky and grumpy after a fast food binge.

It's taken me pretty much all night to rid myself of the headache but my stomach is feeling better now. It was good at the time, but it definitely makes me re-think eating fast food again. It just goes to show that your body is just as smart as the food you put into it. And mine definitely didn't want this mush.

Maybe Subway wasn't such a bad idea after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I worked downtown in the concrete jungle, the favourite place of the office crowd to eat (especially us in management) was McDonald's. It became harder and harder to find anything I could stomach from their menu. If I let someone else do the ordering, we ended up with the largest item on the menu, and if I even attempted it, I knew I'd be spending a good part of the afternoon in the reading room. When it comes to fast food, chicken seems to be about the only safe bet for me.

So, yup, I get your isses with fast food. I'm further ahead to buy the fixins and do it myself at home.

I'll never understand how my sister can eat that stuff seven days a week... ewwww... once a month is more than enough for me.

Ste78 said...

I totally understand. I came THIS close to ordering a grilled chicken sandwich (i think they have them...) but eventually ended up with the death wish as a bargaining tool for my good behaviour.

Yeah, I totally don't understand how I could've stomached it before this time.

Once a month seems like a good goal but after this, I just don't know >>